Man Who Posted FBI Gang Chart on Social Media Is Released on Supervision | national news

DETROIT (AP) – A young Detroit-area man who took a photo of a gang file as he cleaned up an FBI office and posted it on social media was sentenced to probation on Tuesday.

The publication of the graphic could have caused a “bloodbath,” said US District Judge Linda Parker.

Parker said it was a serious case, but she rejected the government’s request to lock up Anthony Cassani for three months.

“I don’t think you need to be in jail to understand the gravity of what you have done here,” the judge said.

In 2020, Cassani, 22, was cleaning an FBI office to reduce the risk of COVID-19 when he saw an array of Detroit gang members. He admits to taking a photo of the card with his phone and posting it on Snapchat.

It could have gone “horribly wrong” if “search warrants had been executed and the targets of the search warrant had been prepared for officers to enter,” said US Deputy Prosecutor Eaton Brown. “We are grateful that this is not what happened.”

Cassani pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.

“Sir. Cassani is like a lot of young men who react impulsively and immaturely.… It’s illegal, it’s wrong,” said defense attorney Mark Gatesman, adding that young people “live their lives in line “.

Cassani apologized and acknowledged the potential harm.

“I fully realize that what I did was not simply theft of government property,” he told the judge.

Parker noted that Cassani has family support and a job. She ordered 60 hours of community service and counseling to control impulsive behavior.

“You don’t live your life on some sort of reality TV show. What you do in real life has real consequences, ”said the judge.

———

Follow Ed White on http://twitter.com/edwritez

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.



Source link

Comments are closed.